Fira and SATO are developing new ways of data-driven management in a pilot project
Open co-operation and knowledge management enables a smoothly functioning operation and unified situational awareness. It is easy for SATO, a large rental housing owner, to stay on track with, for example, schedules and purchases using digital tools. This pilot project has been receiving a lot of praise from both parties.
Two of SATO’s eight-story rental apartment buildings are rising at Haaga in the suburbs of Helsinki, Finland. The buildings will be completed in Fall 2020.
– This is a pilot project with Fira Construction. We are developing a dream home concept and our mutual interest is to get the construction project through cost-effectively, says Director, Planning and Project Execution, Arto Aalto from SATO.
Up-to-date information at hand
The project utilizes and develops various digital services. We collect information from several sources, and we have a view from which we can access all the information. It gives an easy overview, explains Olli Kotilainen, Fira’s Responsible Site Manager.
The apartment building project differs from other similar projects in the way that digital tools are used, for example, for financial and circumstance remote monitoring.
– Especially during this global pandemic, the customers are extremely interested in the effects on schedules, procurement and the overall situation, reflects Jari Kiesilä, SATO’s Development Manager.
Schedules affect how SATO’s customers get to move into their new homes.
– Real-time information helps a lot. Up-to-date information is always available, and it is accessible, Kiesilä continues.
Exceptionally effective communication
– I’m particularly interested in the fact that the buildings will be completed on time and on budget, without compromising the quality. The good thing about this project is that we go through procurement packages together with the contractor and the customer. We choose appropriate quality and price level in order to stay within the limits, praises Aalto.
– The communication between the construction site and the customer has been exceptional in the sense that both good and bad issues have been brought to daylight. This has worked extremely well and a special thanks goes to Fira. The weekly news policy at Fira serves the owners very well. We have received a lot of praise from our management, Kiesilä sums up.